March 14, 2013

It's Not...

...about you!  That's the first line in Rick Warren's book, A Purpose Driven Life.  "It's not about you."  Four simple words start the book that, aside from the Bible, has been translated in more languages and sold more copies than any other book in the world.  Four simple words!  "It's not about you!"
A few weeks ago our pastor Perry Noble preached a sermon on that concept.  It was during our Love Revolution series and the title of the message was "It's Not About Me!"  I mean, honestly, is there really a better way to show someone that you love them than serving?  We were challenged to live out this principle in multiple areas/ALL areas of our lives.  Marriage, finances, career, and most importantly our connection with our Father.  So, for the past few weeks I have tried (failed) and tried again to repeat this over and over.  Talk about a game changing phrase/prayer!
I can't even begin to tell you the number of times my selfish inner voice comes bellowing out when I hear Jesus' sweet tone say "Mary Lanier, it's not about you!"  The sting, the frustration, the annoyance, the inconvenience!  I have this internal conversation of "Seriously, I don't feel like washing bottles!  Graham has been out and about all day (working and providing for our family) and I have been here with two wild boys...I think Graham could hit up those bottles while I watch Sean on this 2 on 1 date!"  "Mary Lanier, it's not about you!"  "I know Wells would love for me to fix his train tracks right now but Pinterest and a Diet Coke are really calling my name!"  "Mary Lanier, he won't be 3 forever...it's not about you!"  "It's Saturday, Graham doesn't have to work, and it's pouring rain...really, who would notice if I didn't make it to the baby shower...crap, it's not about me!"  See how it plays out in your head, sounds fun right! ;)  It is a daily struggle
And though the growing and changing can be hard...I feel so much love when I focus on why it's not about me...
Because it's about Him:

 And them:
"To whom much is given, much is required." (Luke 12:48)  And if I were to even try to work enough to measure up to my gifts I'd slave away sun up to sun down!  And whether I focus on the work, the love, the serving, the giving, the time, the whatever; I have to focus on the simple fact that it's not about me! 
 
Christ commands us to love even as He loves.  "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:12-13) Love is laying down our lives for others.  Just as our Lord Jesus Christ gave His life for us, so we are to give our lives away for others.  To love is to die.---
We may serve others and die to self by being dedicated to seeking the good of others. 
-A Mother's Heart by Jean Fleming
 

No comments:

Post a Comment