June 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Bars

Today is a big day!  I just so happened to stumble across a small piece of my childhood! (And I also found a fun blog!)  When I was a little girl Peanut Butter Bars were my favorite after lunch treat, bar none! ;)  While other kids were buying orange Push-Ups and Nutty Buddies, I always went for this particular baked good!  I have often wondered how in the world the lunch ladies made the deliciousness wrapped in plastic wrap.  I have not had one in years so just imagine my excitement today when I found this:
Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups oatmeal (not quick)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Cream first 3 ingredients together. Add the vanilla, eggs, and peanut butter and combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Spread dough on a greased jelly roll pan (18x13x1"). Make at 350 degrees for 15 minutes (until golden brown). While hot spread 1 1/2 cups peanut butter on top. Cool so that the peanut butter has become solid again (I usually throw them in the fridge so they set up faster and so I can eat them sooner!). Spread your favorite chocolate frosting on top and cut into bars.
Frosting:
1 cube margarine, softened
1/4 cup milk
1-2 tsp vanilla (depending on your taste)
3 cereal spoonfuls of cocoa
2-3 cups of powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth and spread on top of bars

Oh yea, read it and believe it!  I will be trying these out very soon!  Stay tuned for an update! 
Thanks so much to Six Sister's Stuff!  You seriously made my day! :) 

1 comment:

  1. you are cracking me up with the lunch lady talk! haha these look delish, i'll have to try them one day :)

    ReplyDelete